Name: Helen Capstick
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
2011 Redcar and Cleveland business enterprise team: introduction to
2007 – 2010 University of Teesside (Hons) Graphic Design 2:1
2005-2007 Redcar and Cleveland College BTech in Art and Design (Distinction)
2009 Writing and essay skills summer course
2008 Oral presentation skills summer course
GCSE: 8 grades C or above including art, textiles and english
CONFIDENT USER OF
Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator CS, InDesign CS, ImageReady CS, Microsoft Word and blogger.com software
Apple Mac and PC literate.
Profile Photographic Gallery – Saltburn
July 2011 - 6 days
- Assisted in the exhibition changeover process. Included decision making, D.I.Y. etc.
- Completed computer based tasks, for example transferred files to a back-up device.
- Created a photo project, which communicated a story from a week at the gallery.
- Observed teaching session and produced promotional photographs of event for client’s website.
- It was anticipated photo work would be featured on the Profile website.
- Presented portfolio to a number of people and received helpful feedback.
- Networked with people who came into the gallery and cafe.
- Contributed in day to day cafe duties, washed up, disposed recycled waste etc.
BBC Blast Placement - Middlesbrough
October 2010 – 3 weeks
- Worked as the official photographer for the event. Had photos featured on the BBC website. (www.bbc.co.uk/blast/editorial/blast_in_middlesbrough/211749)
- Responded to deadlines and associated pressures with confidence.
- Worked as a team. Focused on individual strengths and communication.
- Prepared and delivered presentations in local school assemblies.
- Completed training for a variety of activity workshops and learnt how to deliver them to children with a range of ages and backgrounds.
- Completed training for set-up and use of technical equipment.
- Participated in health and safety training.
- Organised the showcase; the role as stage manager was to support the performers.
- Talent spotted in the Middlesbrough area, finding people to perform at the event.
- Approached youths in the centre square and brought them over to the activity bus.
- Researched and planned interviews and met with TV associated celebrities.
- Advertisement of the festival event included the design of promotional posters.
- Made satellite maps on Google maps for the main event.
- Managed paperwork as a team for the main event.
- Responded to advice and feedback on tasks such as teaching, the design of posters, maps, and verbal workshop advertising.
The Arts Bank Gallery - Saltburn
Sept 2010 – 2 days
- Helped facilitate school visits, showed children around the gallery and assisted another member of staff to deliver presentations.
- Assisted with art work records, making sure new items were logged.
- Served and greeted customers.
- Presented a number of display cases with small ornaments.
- Created price labels and attached them to packaging of items.
Discovery Photography – Saltburn
August 2010 – 3 days
- Printed/organised contact sheets and other similar tasks.
- Visited Teesside University campus to develop possible shoot ideas.
- Participated in a photography teaching session at Skinningrove beach.
- Visited the Priory in Guisborough; discussed camera model and settings.
- Networked with Discovery Photography business contacts.
- Presented portfolio to the representative at the Moors centre.
High View Photographic – Saltburn
August 2009 – 1 day
- Attended a horse riding competition at Saltburn Riding School.
- Produced action photos of competitors.
- Presented photos for customers to purchase.
- Learnt more about equipment used in industry.
- Observed the process of client orders and how merchandise is made.
- Met and greeted clients and competitors.
Perfect Reflections – Middlesbrough
August 2009 – 4 days
- Produced studio projects, photographed products shots for businesses etc.
- Trimmed photographs and put together wedding albums.
- Used specialist software appropriate for industry photographers.
- Learnt how to use industry cameras and adjust settings to create different effects.
- Met clients and made them feel welcome.
- Learnt about day to day tasks at Perfect Reflections.
Polygon Fiction - Middlesbrough
- Created mixed media images for the use of their animation and advertisements.
- Worked on specialist animation programmes; edited colours of image files.
- Learnt about specific software relevant to their use.
Room for Design - Northallerton
May 2009 - 2 weeks
- Worked with a variety of design briefs for real clients on industry software.
- Processed files in Photoshop for the use of other co-workers.
- Errands, such as putting documents in envelopes and posting.
- Helen has developed a small freelance photography business.
- Rebranded Helen’s fashion and beauty blog.
- Helen’s high quality art greetings cards are for sale on the Helen Capstick Etsy.com business page. Helen has gained experience with product ideas, marketing and become more cost-efficient. (www.etsy.com/shop/capstick13?ref=si_shop)
- Helen was hired to photograph Eden Bakery’s product range. The final images were used on the Eden Bakery website and Facebook page. (www.eden-bakery.co.uk)
- She was involved in a one day work experience session with well known photographer Keith Moss. Assisted behind the scenes with a fashion shoot for Euphoria clothing.
- She has been involved in event photographic work which includes Profile Gallery Vintage fair, New Marske St Thomas’ Messy Church event and Youth Cafe.
- She has been involved in youth work with a variety of age groups. Provided assistance to Andrew Broderick at a creative drawing workshop run by Club Creative.
- Developed creative ways to reach potential clients online using websites such as Twitter, Facebook and Flickr.
- With the Guisborough Art Society, attended an exhibition event and volunteered as a catering assistant for one day.
- As part of an art exhibition weekend she participated in many of the workshops.
- Developed her portfolio through camera-friendly outings and arranged feedback sessions with local photographic companies.
- As part of the NHS Stroke Peer Group art competition, Helen produced highly praised work and received an award from Teesside University for her contribution.
- Entered the NHS Be A Friend photography competition and was selected to feature in a calendar.
- Begun work as the event photographer for Messy Church at St Thomas’s church.
- Participated in many local classes, such as crafts and card making.
- Sold handmade cards on a stall at a craft fair. Created promotional work for this.
- Designed a new and updated professional blog. (www.helencapstick.com)
- Created a professional photostream on Flickr.
- Created a professional facebook page.
- Designed a blog based on party planning. (www.partiesandpresents.blogspot.com)
- Designed a blog based on fashion. (www.helensfashionblog.blogspot.com)
- For a community village competition at the New Marske fair, Helen worked in a team, completing some design work and decorations.
- Presented ideas for the New Marske village logo to the chairman of the parish council.
- Completed a rebrand project for Solar Design, a web design company. Presented new names and numerous logo designs to the company.
- New Marske craft group poster advertisement.